Saturday 7 July 2012

Somewhat less than enamoured…


Young kudu with the most amusing expression ever

I won’t lie, Kruger was a bit of a let-down after all the hype of going. That may have been part of the problem but still, I can’t say I left with the sense of wonder that usually accompanies my bush escapes. Yes, we saw lots of the standards: impala, elephants, rhino, warthog, zebra etc. The stand out sighting was a leopard casually lounging on a branch just 10m from the road. And, as usual, we kept missing the wild dogs. Seriously, we choose one road to get from A to B, they are on the other. Clearly I need to clone myself and drive all the roads! 
Traffic...African style
A major downer on the whole trip was our stay in Pretoriuskop Camp. My mom specifically booked it because that’s the area where wild dogs are often seen…except when I’m there. The service was shocking. The lady at the office looked like she could think of a million things she’d rather be doing and couldn’t care less about the issues at hand. My hand itched to connect with her face and I’m very glad my mom dealt with her. Also, the units were organised with a shared kitchen, but guess what? There was nothing. No plates, no cups, no cutlery. Nothing. And when we got to the office to ask about this all we got in response was: Sorry, there are no plates. Seriously? Ser-i-ous-ly? This is one of the premier parks in the country and they can’t cater for the basics or be even remotely helpful? And the restaurant was also rather terrible. Not impressed and that camp is definitely not getting my business again. 

Ours, ours, all ours!

The view from our house...I could get used to it
The last place we stayed at was amazing however. It was a huge house at the Skukuza Camp, divided up into five rooms (from what I recall) that each slept two people with a large kitchen and eating area, that overlooked the river. Really was fantastic and I’ll definitely try muster up a whole bunch of people and go road trip there. One day… 
We had a visitor :)
Went on a night drive as well. Watched an awesome red moon rise like on the Kalahari. Didn't see much in the way of predators but I saw my first bushbaby. Those things can move FAST for such little critters!
New type of camouflage for cars...I dunno, it amused me
Another thing I learnt on this trip is that early morning drives are possibly not worth the early wake-up. Can't say we saw anything remarkably interesting during these drives... but, since I was only there for 3 days I was going to get the most out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment